The Captive's Dream by Anne Bronte
Methought I saw him but I knew him not;
He was so changed from what he used to be,
There was no redness on his woe-worn cheek,
No sunny smile upon his ashy lips,
His hollow wandering eyes looked wild and fierce,
And grief was printed on his marble brow,
And O I thought he clasped his wasted hands,
And raised his haggard eyes to Heaven, and prayed
That he might die -- I had no power to speak,
I thought I was allowed to see him thus;
And yet I might not speak one single word;
I might not even tell him that I lived
And that it might be possible if search were made,
To find out where I was and set me free,
O how I longed to clasp him to my heart,
Or but to hold his trembling hand in mine,
And speak one word of comfort to his mind,
I struggled wildly but it was in vain,
I could not rise from my dark dungeon floor,
And the dear name I vainly strove to speak,
Died in a voiceless whisper on my tongue,
Then I awoke, and lo it was a dream!
A dream? Alas it was reality!
For well I know wherever he may be
He mourns me thus -- O heaven I could bear
My deadly fate with calmness if there were
No kindred hearts to bleed and break for me!
He was so changed from what he used to be,
There was no redness on his woe-worn cheek,
No sunny smile upon his ashy lips,
His hollow wandering eyes looked wild and fierce,
And grief was printed on his marble brow,
And O I thought he clasped his wasted hands,
And raised his haggard eyes to Heaven, and prayed
That he might die -- I had no power to speak,
I thought I was allowed to see him thus;
And yet I might not speak one single word;
I might not even tell him that I lived
And that it might be possible if search were made,
To find out where I was and set me free,
O how I longed to clasp him to my heart,
Or but to hold his trembling hand in mine,
And speak one word of comfort to his mind,
I struggled wildly but it was in vain,
I could not rise from my dark dungeon floor,
And the dear name I vainly strove to speak,
Died in a voiceless whisper on my tongue,
Then I awoke, and lo it was a dream!
A dream? Alas it was reality!
For well I know wherever he may be
He mourns me thus -- O heaven I could bear
My deadly fate with calmness if there were
No kindred hearts to bleed and break for me!
Tone: The tone was sad, and tragic
Mood: The mood was depressing, pitiful, and yearning.
Meaning: The meaning of this poem was what a captive felt when separated from her loved one. How all she wanted was for him to find her and that they could be together again. She imagined on how he'd look, how he'd react to her disappearance, and how she would comfort his soul. But with the inevitable realization that he would never come she cannot be put to rest.
"This Time It's Different"
Let GO!
This time it's different
I'm burning up
I'm filling up, see
Forever plagued with this fire inside me
Deliver all, to live or die blindly
This time it's different
I'm burning up
I'm filling up, see
Forever plagued with this fire inside me
Deliver all, to live or die blindly
It's empty it's bluffing defining the nothing
Interfering with the call of fate is crawling out of you and now
Finding comfort in the smallest spaces have sold out
I know I said
I hope I don't upset the light you defend
But this time it's different
Destroy my pain
Then capture life again
(This time it's different)
Destroy my shame
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
I'm giving up
I'm living but weak
I'm hearing voices from shadows inside me
I never sleep,
My eyes are too focused, too hopeless, too broken, too open, to notice
Interfering with the call of fate is crawling out of you, and now
Finding comfort in the smallest spaces have sold out
I know I said
I hope I don't upset the light you defend
But this time it's different
Destroy my pain
Then capture life again
(This time it's different)
Destroy my shame
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
(Question everything) [x4]
I open my eyes
A voice inside me
I open my mind
But this time it's different
Destroy my pain
Then capture life again
(This time it's different)
Destroy my shame
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
(I'm burning up, I'm living but)
Can't live my life this way
(I'm burning up, I'm giving up)
Can't live my life this WAY!
Interfering with the call of fate is crawling out of you and now
Finding comfort in the smallest spaces have sold out
I know I said
I hope I don't upset the light you defend
But this time it's different
Destroy my pain
Then capture life again
(This time it's different)
Destroy my shame
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
I'm giving up
I'm living but weak
I'm hearing voices from shadows inside me
I never sleep,
My eyes are too focused, too hopeless, too broken, too open, to notice
Interfering with the call of fate is crawling out of you, and now
Finding comfort in the smallest spaces have sold out
I know I said
I hope I don't upset the light you defend
But this time it's different
Destroy my pain
Then capture life again
(This time it's different)
Destroy my shame
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
(Question everything) [x4]
I open my eyes
A voice inside me
I open my mind
But this time it's different
Destroy my pain
Then capture life again
(This time it's different)
Destroy my shame
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
LET! go, GO! let go
And capture life again
LET! go, GO! let go
Can't live my life this way
(I'm burning up, I'm living but)
Can't live my life this way
(I'm burning up, I'm giving up)
Can't live my life this WAY!
Tone: The tone of this piece was anger, defiance, and determination
Mood: The mood was depressing and inspirational.
Meaning: My interpretation of this piece is about a man who is being changed for the better, by that I mean that before he didn't understand the needs of others. But after seeing with his eyes he can see what he was blinded by before. By seeing the world in a new light he is angered, determined, and willing to change. He is telling the change between his old eyes to his new as he embraces his new found enlightenment and leaves his old.
No comments:
Post a Comment