Monday, January 21, 2013

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

We take for granted the simple things in life, we don't realize it but only when it is gone that we realize its real importance in life. Although it might seem simple today, the rights we have gained were fought with blood and misery. In Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s final speech, his speech spoken on April 3, 1968 he said, "We've got some difficult days ahead... But I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land." Perhaps King believed that as a whole and if people screamed loud enough that they will achieve their dreams. Maybe he thought that he had finished his duty, the duty to inspire defiance and skepticism into all people. If Dr. King came into our urban school tomorrow I would say that he would be greatly perturbed.

One dream that Dr. King strove for was freedom towards racism, discrimination, and equality, which has been abused. We overcame racism, discrimination, and fought for equality but in this modern age you would see students walking around the hallways with their pants hanging beneath their waist. These students dress as though they were a part of gangs or something, speaking slang towards others. When going into the cafeteria you would see mass diversity between the students; Hispanic students huddled on one side of the cafeteria, and African-american students on the other. This is certainly what Dr. King wasn't hoping to gain, he wanted equality for all. 

Another flaw in our urban school that would disappoint Dr. King is the abuse of our freedom. Our freedom of speech is valued highly but it doesn't necessarily mean for us to speak every thought into words. Such as saying profanities after each word or saying something offensive towards others. Our freedom to take advantage of an education is lacking, with students who attend the school neither caring for an education or dropping out like flies. When Dr. King was young he would fight for an education equal to those of different race. Now that we have that same opportunity we deny it and ignore its importance in life. 

If Dr. King was summoned to our school I believe he wouldn't be happy, not at all. Though I believe that he would be proud of me, for I look upon my peers with indifference and I accept everyone as an equal. I take advantage of my education, as well as appear to be educated. I don't slur my speech to the standards of others and wear appropriate clothing at all times. I am a honors student and my surroundings are different than others, my peers and I see the world in a realistic view. Though there are things that Dr. King would be proud of, our school isn't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment