The winds echo through the high mountains, and the mountains covered with life. The sun high above, in the right position where shadows are almost non-existent. Our ancestors learned to love and appreciate life, and so to become one with life they build their homes and temples on mountains. If you stood at the bottom of the mountain and looked up you'd see the mountains and trees paint onto the heavenly skies. The dirt underneath my shoes made a squish sound. Everything is still wet from yesterdays pour. Though for today there isn't a single cloud in sight, usually this time of year it is constantly raining, which is good for the farmers. I love this nation, the country where I was raised and the beauty of this country always seem to grab a hold of me spiritually. The bells ring in the distant snapping me out of my trance, 'I'm late!'Quickly I run to the temple careful not to slip on the wet ground. "Anzan you're late, again."
"Sorry, I was j-"
"There is no need to apologize. Whatever you were doing, will define your personality and who you really are." The master said. But to me he wasn't the master of the temple, he was my father. He raised me when he found me as a baby laying on the steps of the temple. I don't know my mother nor my father. But why would I need to? My family lays here, the people here are all my family. Intertwined with one another the way it should be. Every month there would be family celebrations, where everyone would fest and cheer happily. It brought comfort to me that even though I had no biological family I was surrounded by people who care and love me.
How the fire started was mysterious, fires here didn't just start. It was rumored that someone started it but who and why? We are a peaceful nation, we've done no harm to others. When father heard of the rumor he confronted the people during mass and said, "I do not know whether if the fire was started but if it was than let it." gasps filled the crowd, "They're hurting within. Let them relinquish their anger. Deep down they know what they've done was wrong and will forever live with that guilt, guilt that is bad for the soul. He harmed us, yet he will be the one in pain for an eternity." Father spoke, confidence filling every word. Nod's and agreements were then spoken. Father was the best, he had not only calmed the rumor but calmed the people.
Only that it wasn't a rumor, fires started happening more often after. Thankfully winter had arrived early and we were safe for the time being. During that winter it was obvious that Father was under a lot of stress, he was looking for some solution and it was obvious that he had found none. How are you supposed to confront an arsonist to stop what he was doing without the use of violence? It was impossible. So far there were no fires since last fall, but still fear walked among the people. Every night people were in fear that they're homes and farm was going to be burnt down. The people weren't as happy as they usually be, and no one spoke of the fires not wanting to jinx it.
The bells rung signifying that the time for praying was over. There was much work to be done for the upcoming winter. The sun had set fast today, with seemed to be odd for me. Gathering my tools I saw a human shadow stand among the tree lines, watching, observing. "Anzan!" I heard someone call from behind I turned my head to see Enku wave at me, signalling me to hurry it up. I nodded and turned my head back to the tree lines. The shadow was gone, who was standing there? Dread seemed to fill my entire being, and I had a bad feeling that something evil was about to transpire.When the tools were properly stored away, the sun was long gone. The black starry sky took the place of the light blue one. Enku and I were walking back to the village when a high pitch scream filled our ears. Instincts took over and we ran to the village as fast as out legs could take us. Once the village light came to my vision, a strong scent of something burning filled my nose. Enku's mother, Fuha, came running to us.
"Anzan! I was just passing the temple! It's on fire." Fuha sobbed. My mind stopped, mouth numb, and body paralyzed. 'The temple? Was father still in there?' Countless questions entered my mind, but I could not think. Thinking would not help anything and would be saved for later. Taking a sharp glance at Enku, we held a brief eye contact in understanding. I ran to the temple Enku right behind me, as we came closer to the temple the scent of burning wood was stronger. The temple was built a little far from the village so that people in the temple could feel secure and comfort.
When we came to the clearing, I wanted to sink to my knees. The temple was on fire, fire pouring from the windows, the walls painted black, and smoke coming from everywhere. But perhaps Father was still in there, maybe he needed by help. I took a deep breath and jumped into the burning temple. "Father? Father are you here?" I yelled my voice cracked. Vivid red and orange flames surrounded me and everywhere I looked there was fire. I felt blinded, smothered, and hot. "Father!"
"Over.... here." A weak voice penetrated my ears. "Father!" I scanned the area looking for him, he laid on the floor, his face expressed pain. "Don't worry I'll get you out of here." I quickly put an arm under his arms and heaved him quickly as possible out of the temple. When I reached the door way Enku ran over and helped me carry my father away from the burning temple. The villagers lead by Fuha, seemed to have come in the time I was in the temple. Father was taken from my hands and into the place of our doctors.
"Don't worry Anzan, your father is in good care now." I nodded.
A hand gripped my shoulder, "Anzan, look!" Enku held a pointed finger to the silhouette standing near the tree lines. It was the same person that was watching me earlier that day. When the silhouette saw us staring it ran into the forest. My vision went red and I quickly ran after the man, Enku knowing exactly what was going on and informing the others. Though they were behind me and I saw behind the arsonist. 'He tried to kill my father, let alone many others.' Adrenaline was the source of my outbreak, and I wasn't going to stop for anything. But it was night and it was hard to find the man, so I depended on the sounds around me.
I stopped running and stood there taking in my surroundings, having a clear mind would help me track down the man. It was quiet, trees were everywhere, the ground bumpy, and tiny chirps from the crickets gave the forest the eerie feeling.
A twig snapping originated from behind me, I quickly swirled around and came face to face with the arsonist. His face familiar, yet hard to place. He jumped at me, hands gripping tightly around my neck, it was getting difficult to breathe. I formed a fist with my hands and struck his face, his grip loosened. At that moment Enku and others from the village holding torches grabbed the man and held him there. Enku helped me up, "Thanks."
"Not a problem, you okay?"
"Yes, just tired." I told him. He nodded. the villagers were pleased to have caught the arsonist but yet angered that the man had burned down homes.
"We should kill him!" Someone shouted.
"Hang him." Another voiced, soon many violent options filled the forest.
"NO!" Father said, as he walked into view his clothes filled with burned spots, "We will do no such thing. Violence is not the way."
"Then what do you suggest?" Hoji asked. Hoji was the second priest, his opinion was highly valued during times such as these. Father was about to say something when Chugai came into view.
"Genyo?" Chugai asked, his voice in disbelief.
'Genyo?' I suddenly remember him! He was Chugai's brother, we all sat and ate at the annual family ritual years ago. But then he suddenly disappeared. But if this was Chugai's brother why did Genyo set all the fires?
"Yeah, brother. Now you notice me." Genyo said, his voice filled with hatred.
"Genyo, why did you set all the fires?" Chugai asked.
"I did it to show you that living in ignorance is wrong! The way we are living is wrong, why can't you see that? I was visiting the countries and how they live. The way that you're all living is wrong! You deny technology and depend on the old ways!" Genyo yelled.
"No, we are living the right way, we choose this way." Father interrupted the argument, "We learn to live with nature and spiritually. You have the choice to leave, it is your life."
"We can't let him leave!" Hoji yelled, "He has committed a serious crime and should be punished."
"I agree with you, and justice will be served. Genyo will be handed over to the modern society and be prosecuted by their laws. Genyo, the day when you learn the wronging of your ways. Will be the day that we will forgive you."
"I don't need your forgiveness." He spat.
"It is your life, child." Father said. Genyo was taken away to be held until morning when Hoji and Father will take him to the modern society and prosecuted. "Anzun." Father called.
"Yes?"
"Thank you. You jumped into the fire to save me."
"I would do it a thousand times." I said, truth within my eyes and soul.
"I'm glad to hear that. But what you did was idiotic and will have to help Fuha with the cooking for two months."
"What! That's unfair!"
"Life is fair. Now go home you look horrible." Father said with humor behind it. Fuha and Enku laughing behind their hands. I couldn't help myself from smiling, I was glad that everything had turned out fine.
KOO AWESOME BETTER THAN MINE!!!
ReplyDelete