Thursday, November 15, 2012

When Even Hope Is Not Enough

Sandy, a normal human name had no meaning until this event happened. The total destruction that Sandy had caused gave that name the thought of disaster, death, sufferings, and evil. Although the name is associated with those words it also held the thought of hope kindness. Sandy showed that there are people out there that are willing to help no matter the cost and will sacrifice some of their time to others. but the definition of Sandy whether for good experiences or bad lies only with the people that experienced her wrath.

She was unforgiving and harsh but it was only through her influence that I learned what it felt like to be helpless. Here is the experience that I underwent. We had lost our power before the hurricane even hit us, and well before anyone else had. The feeling of unjust and unfairness was my first feeling towards Sandy but seeing the cup as half full I worked with it and kept my hope. I knew that there were going to be others out there in worse situations than I and with time things would eventually return to the society standards of normal. The first night without power was an insightful one. I witnessed the dependence that power had on my life. Without something to shine a light or keep us entertained was the most endearing I had to overcome.

Telling stories was the first that came to mind to help my sisters forget all about our situation. Filled with the spirit of Halloween, spooky stories were said around the tiny candle. During the daylight and a recon investigation in the closet, a pack of cards were found and used to the extent of the blackout. Competitions were held daily and the loser would do all the chores around the house. Books were either read aloud or individually. Day light was not to be wasted in vain, and as soon as the sun was gone we would sleep.

Sandy did not cause much damage except for the power outage, and some missing roof shillings. Though as the days passed by without power our hope was slowly dripping away but what else was there to do? The only thing that kept us going was on that tiny bit of hope that the power would return, it was not enough. Food was scarce and there were barely enough to go around. I eventually found staring at nothing became boring. My imagination slowly slipping away, my hope slowly dripping away.

Eventually the power returned on the border of the twelfth day. I'm not implying that through the power outage we experience was not a fun one or that I found plenty of time to read six books, but It's safe to say that I'd NEVER want to go through another power outage again. When the power was back as well as the cable we found out the full extent of the damage Sandy had caused on the rest of the shore line. I learned during the blackout, how technology and power had a huge grip on my life, and how I was WAY behind on my reading list. I desperately need to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment