Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What He's Seen

Throughout all of McCandless's adventures and what he read it was clear that he wanted to be out in the open and away from society. He read passages about, "American West as Living Space.", "No Outlet for the Quiet Life.", and historic views of nature. He was amendment of finding a path out of limitations and run amok with nature.

A BETRAYAL
By:Shelley Sims

If I had but one wish I would give it to you.
For you see, there is nothing in my life I wish to undo.

Every mountain climbed and road journeyed down
Has made me the person who stands before you now.

At the many mistakes I did make,
Oh at the countless wrong turns did I take.

So from these things I now glean,
May I ask you just one thing?

Who are you to judge my life
And determine what's wrong and what's right?

For every decision I've made has defined who I am
And it's not your place to pass judgment on the race that I've ran.

Rather, let me hold up the mirror so you may clearly see
How each one of your negative comments further separates you from me.

At first you look away, you don't even try.
Could it be that you would rather believe a lie?

Conviction slowly builds up inside
And you soon realize this is something from which you can no longer hide.

And what is it in that mirror in which you see?
Do you see the truth of who you really are in all its monstrosity?

Tears begin to fill your eyes and then soon you see
That this whole time it was about your own pain and never me.

I forgive you for the pain you have caused my heart.
I only wish you could have been genuine from the start.

The time has come for us to part ways.
I pray you know and accept the truth for the rest of your days.

However, for the lies you told
I pray all hell unfolds
To devour your black and wretched soul. 
This poem relates to Christopher McCandless, for it defined him and his pain. When he figured that his parents were keeping a secret life he felt the pain of betrayal. He was tainted with blackness. But when he was given the chance he took it. He was the person that was built up over time. He didn't just decide out of the blue to be adventurous  No, instead he was molded with the desire burning within to escape as he was. To get as far away from human society, the race on whom he lost all hope with.

FREEDOM
By: Natasha ManginleyFrancis

To be free
Free from PAIN 
Free from SUFFERING
Free from CRIME
Free from DESTRUCTION

Oh! To be free
I can feel the freedom
I can taste the freedom
I can smell the freedom
I can envision the freedom

I wish to live till the day
The day we have total freedom
Yes! Total Freedom
Freedom from physical, emotional, and mental captivation

The shackles must break someday
If not this day
Then let it be one great day
When I get to Witness, this greatness
Meanwhile, this poem also relates to Christopher McCandless as it tells his goals and objectives. Christopher planned to escape humanity, escape society and government. He had witnessed first hand how people were corrupted and imperfect. He sought difference in people, looking for the good but was only rewarded with evil. He went into the wild and observed nature, fighting daily for survival. It was not easy what he did, but by doing it was he able to see the beauty of life on Earth. He interpreted life as it was meant to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment