I stand, dressed in a set of clothes I deemed worthy of protecting me in my journey. My eyes drift down casting upon my feet. I am not upset with my life, quite the opposite. I'm proud of the life I've lead so far but it is here that I chose to change. I must prove to myself that no problem is beyond my reach. I'm not chasing a life, I'm making a life. And so I must walk out into the world to find my true self. There is no turning back. I silently vow to myself that if I cannot accomplish what I've set to do, then I will not return. And so I take a step forward, this step symbolizes my commitment and beginning.
July 13th, 20XX
Its been two weeks already and I've petaled for hours nonstop. My legs are literally killing me, I want to take a break but I can't. I'm afraid. I'm currently passing through a notoriously violent city. I'm afraid that I'll end up getting attacked, or worse killed. And I know that in my final moments if I were granted it, I would regret ever making this trip, more so ever thinking about it. And so I petal on, fear running through the coarse of my veins.
Exhaustion finally over took me. I swore that I'll stay only for a bit and afterwards I'd rush straight to my bike and petal, petal far from society. My thoughts froze when I heard a 'click' from behind. Slowly I turned my head around to meet the end of a gun. He held it high in the air pointed at me, my breathing turned erratic and my body stiffened with fear. "Give me your money." he grumbled. Wordlessly I pulled out a twenty dollar bill, the rest of my money was packed in my book bag which clung helplessly to my bike.He snatched it, but the gun was still pointed at me. Slowly he strode to me. My fear dissipating into anger, he got what he asked for, why was he still here? A memory came into my head, a memory of my father teaching me how to knock a gun out of someones hands. My father was a funny man, he deemed it necessary to learn self defense among other things. As soon as he was close enough I whipped my hands forward with the power of desperation and twisted his hand. The gun was slapped to the ground and quickly I elbowed him in the face. Using the chance I ran to my bike, my goal was to pedal far away from here.
Before I could get a couple of feet away from this dangerous man something tugged harshly at my leg and I found myself facing the floor. I yelled in pain, turned and tried to kick him. But I didn't need to, someone had come to help me. So the dangerous man was out as a light bulb. There were two people who had come to assist me. A man and a woman, the man seemed to be average height, with short black hair which seemed to defy gravity. He had pale skin and wore casual clothing. The woman was almost identical, were they related? But instead she was a bit shorter, she had long wavy black hair and wore sophisticated clothing. A hand lifted me onto my feet.
"Are you alright?" The man asked, his voice was a little deep but in the calm and soothing way.
"Yeah, thanks." I said.
"We heard your yell. You must be a passerby." He stated.
"I am, how do you know?"
He could only laugh, "Well, the people that live here are all friendly. All you got to do is talk to the right set of people. I'm one of them, the right set of people I mean. The names Vel and that there is my twin sister Cel." I nodded and introduced myself. "Well than, would you like a proper tour of this glorious city?"
"I'd like that."
"You need a place to stay? You can stay with us." Cel said, Vel nodding.
"Well, if you insist." This made everyone laugh.
It was on that day that I learned that there are evil and good surrounding all four corners of the universe. All you had to do was ask to find them, they aren't hiding. They're all in plain sight waiting to help those in need. I stayed with Val and Cal for a week, promised to return and continued on my journey. I still had a long way to go and more to learn. But I guess that now I'll have something less to be afraid of, the fear of being alone and threatened.
No comments:
Post a Comment